Title : Addictions and Drug Trainee
Direct Report: Clinical Director
Adopted/Revised Date: February 2019
Salary Range: Dependent on experience and qualification
The mission of the Change Health Systems, Inc. SUD program is to provide help to clients struggling from the scourge of addiction to alcohol and other drugs and to reduce the incidence of addition in future generations. As an agency, we are committed to quality and informed care to clients with substance use and co-occurring disorders.
As a member of the CHS SUD treatment team, the Addiction counselor provides critical alcohol and other drug assessment and referral services to clients referred to the SUD Program in a manner that reflects CHS mission and goals.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct screening interviews to determine the need for a drug and alcohol assessment and for emergent care services in the specific areas of detoxification, prenatal care, and psychiatric care; make referrals to appropriate health and human services agencies as needed based on the outcome of the screening interview.
- Running two 3-hour groups for three days per week for a total of 18 clinical group hours per week.
- Completion of 15 hours of individual counseling per week.
- Maintenance of at least a combination of 30 active IOP and OP Clients.
- Conduct confidential, quality assessments, that are gender-responsive and trauma-informed, utilizing PCPC criteria to determine the appropriate level of care; assessments may be conducted in the community or at a Change Health Systems, Inc. facility.
- Provide clinical consultation to referral resources, Mentors, family members, and others to help support clients in their recovery.
- Work closely with clients to engage them in the decision-making process and help them understand the benefits of assessment and accessing the appropriate level of care as indicated.
- Collect and review referral information upon assignment of clients from the referral source and consult with others as needed to support coordination of services and scheduling of client interviews.
- Coordinate with the Intake Coordinator as needed to contact clients to confirm appointment dates, times, and assessment locations.
- Collect information from collateral resources to aid in determining diagnosis and need for treatment.
- Based on assessments, make referrals to the most appropriate programs and agencies to help clients access the right level of care to best meet their treatment needs.
- Assist clients with scheduling an admission or first appointment date at the program or facility where they are referred.
- Monitor client access to and involvement with treatment and other providers to help address barriers to treatment and the recovery process; follow up with client within seven days of referral to assess process and client’s satisfaction with adjusting to the program.
- Model and support health and wellness activities and healthy coping skills for clients.
- Provide transportation for clients to intake and other appointments as needed.
- If client does not keep assessment appointment, follow up by phone, mail or email and offer to reschedule the appointment.
- Work collaboratively with client’s funding sources to obtain initial authorizations for reimbursement for intervention and recovery support services.
- Work cooperatively with the legal system to ensure coordination of services including Court appearances when appropriate.
- Complete paperwork requirements and maintain quality, up-to-date clinical records, including Outcomes Survey information and information for invoicing; enter necessary information into Change Health Systems, Inc. electronic medical records (EMR) system.
- Consult with supervisor and/or Change Health Systems, Inc’s psychiatrist as needed.
- Maintain working knowledge of other drug and alcohol treatment agencies and programs and a list of resources that can be shared with clients.
- Remain in compliance with internal and external policies, procedures, regulations, and standards, including all CHS’s policies and procedures and Quality Assurance Plan, DDAP requirements, State Licensing standards, County Monitoring requirements, and managed care regulations.
- Participate in all assigned meetings, staff development, and training as required.
- Provide back-up assistance to Therapists with group therapy and psycho-education groups as necessary.
Personal Attributes and Requirements
- Experience with trauma-informed services, cognitive behavioral therapies including DBT, and motivational therapies including the use of incentives preferred.
- Personal recovery experience not required, however, knowledge of recovery support systems and 12-Step programs an added advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and engagement skills.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong computer skills required; experience with EMR system a plus.
- Ability to support the agency’s mission and philosophy, and demonstrate sensitivity to cultural diversity and workplace harmony.
- Value for and ability to deliver excellent customer service.
- Self-directed and flexible to meet the needs of administration and management.
- Working in Change Health Systems, Inc. offices.
- Ability to work the hours necessary to complete the work.
- Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not restrict or prescribe the tasks that may be assigned.
- Critical features of this job have been described in the narrative. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
Education: A combination of the following educational qualification are acceptable from an accredited college or university:
i. Master’s degree in Social Work, Counseling, or related field.
ii. Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Counseling, or related field.
iii. Associate degree in Social Work, Counseling, or related field.
iv. Credit Hours in alcohol and drug counseling or related field.
In addition to the outlined educational qualification, all post holders must be licensed (or have recognized status) by the Board of Professional Counselor and Therapist as:
i. Alcohol and Drug Trainee Status(ADT).
ii. Certified Supervised Counselor –Alcohol and Drug (CSC –AD).
iii. Certified Associate Counselor –Alcohol and Drug (CAC –AD).
iv. Licensed Graduate Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LGADC).
v. Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LCADC).
Experience: At least one year of clinical experience in an alcohol or other drugs (AOD) or mental health setting preferred.Must understand the Opiate Treatment Program and Out Patient Clinic operations.
Change Health Systems, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and provider.
Successful completion of probation includes the following:
(i) Not having more than 2instances of late documentation submission during the review period.
(ii) Accurate completion of all necessary documentation per COMAR standards.
(iii) Attending all scheduled group and individual supervision sessions.
(iv) Attending all scheduled staff and quarterly meetings.
(v) Meeting more than 90% of the expected weekly group and individual direct contact sessions.
(vi) Maximizing weekly group participation and client attendance to meet the minimum COMAR billing requirements.
(vii) Ensuring there are Zero denials for billing purposes.